Parking Information and Parking Citations

Parking Permit Information

Temporary 72-hour oversize vehicle permits (PDF) must be submitted to SHPD for review. There is a $21 fee that must be submitted to the Finance Department. 

1-year Oversize Vehicle Permits require a separate application and review by City Administration. Please call 562-989-7300 for more information. 

Paying for Citations

Citations can be paid by check through the self-addressed envelope attached to the citation or line through Pay My Cite website

Contesting Citations

The City has established a three-tiered program for contesting citations.

Step 1: Administrative Review

Administrative reviews can be requested within 21 days of citation issuance or within 14 days of the mailing of a delinquent penalty notice. You may pick up an Administrative Review Form at the Signal Hill Police Department or request that a form be mailed to you by calling 562-989-7200.

Return the completed Administrative Review Form, a photocopy of the citation, a written explanation of the reasons the citation is being contested, and any other supporting documentation. Your request will be reviewed by a Parking Adjudication Coordinator. 

If a citation is eligible for cancellation because of proof of correction or proof that the violation was due to a technical omission which has been remedied, the citation will be canceled upon payment of a Fix-it Fee/Administrative Fee. The current fee is $10.00.

The results of the review will be mailed to you. If it can be determined that there are not grounds for cancellation for the citation, you may either pay the penalty required to conclude the matter or request an Administrative Hearing.

Step 2: Administrative Hearing

An Administrative Hearing must be requested within 21 days of the mailing of the results of the Administrative Review. You may pick up an Administrative Hearing Form at the Signal Hill Police Department or request that a form be mailed to you by calling 562-989-7200.

The request for an Administrative Hearing must be accompanied by a deposit of the full amount due on the citation or verifiable and substantial proof of the inability to deposit the full amount of the citation. You may request a mail-in or in-person hearing before a hearing examiner. A date will be scheduled for the hearing, and you will be notified as to the exact date and time (normally the fourth Thursday of the month at 6 p.m.).

The hearing will be conducted by a City-appointed hearing examiner and will be tape-recorded. You may offer testimony, under oath, as to the reasons the parking citation is being contested along with any other relevant evidence. The officer who issued the citation is not required to be present at the hearing. Once the hearing examiner has made a decision, a notice will be mailed within 5 days.

If the hearing examiner cancels the citation, your deposited penalty fee will be returned. If the hearing examiner upholds the citation, the deposited fee will be used to pay the penalty, and the case will be concluded. If you wish to contest the case further, you may appeal the hearing examiner's decision in civil court.

Step 3: Civil Court Action

The civil court is the last step to contest a parking citation. Within 30 days of the mailing of the hearing examiner's decision, you may file an appeal in the Municipal Court or Justice Court. 

If you choose to do so, contact the Civil Division of the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, 111 North Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012, 213-830-0822.